Over the past 2 weeks I have gained 1.2lbs. Ordinarily I’d be pretty upset about regressing, however I know exactly how and why I gained the weight. Additionally I have had the largest boon to my confidence and progress to date. Continue reading
Well football season is here, and what is football without chili anyway?
- 4tsp chili powder
- 2tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp paprika (smoked paprika is good!)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4lbs Round Top Roast
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Cup Red wine (pinot noir or Chianti)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tbsp oatbran
- 3 onions, coarsley chopped
- 3 bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 28oz canned whole plum tomatoes
- 1 small can of black olives, optional
- Cube the beef into 1/2″-1″ inch cubes by cutting the meat away from the white fat seems, discard fat (you should be left with about 3lbs lean meat).
- Blot dry the beef using a paper towel
- In a small bowl combine the chili powder, oregano, cumin paprika nutmeg an salt, mix.
- Coat the beef with about 1/3rd the spice mix
- Heat about 1 tsp oil in a dutch oven to med-high heat
- Place the seasoned beef into the dutch oven and saute to lightly brown all sides (about 5 min.)
- Remove the excess fat from the pan if necessary
- Add the onions and bell peppers, saute 3 min.
- Add the tomatoes with liquid, add the wine, garlic, remaining unused spice mix and bay leaf, bring to a simmer (add olives if used)
- Using a wooden spoon, coarsely break apart the tomatoes into large chunks
- Reduce heat and simmer with the lid slightly ajar until the meat tenderizes , about 1 – 2 hours
- Adjust flavor with additional spices if needed
- Remove the bayleaf and stir in the oatbran, remove from heat and let sit for atleast 1 minute
- Stir and serve
For the past month or so I feel as my progress has slowed to a crawl. I understand that as you lose weight, you have less weight to lose, therefore you progress will inevitably slow. But this is really getting hard to stay motivated. Some of the slowing down I can attribute to myself, I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to have having a few party nights as I crossed the 53.4lb threshold that I set when I started this ‘project.’
Since I last checked in (about a month ago) I have lost 7.2lbs which makes it a total of 59.2lbs lost. I cannot believe that I have lost almost 60lbs, I cannot believe that I had 60lbs to lose, but that is another story. To be perfectly honest I started this diet on a whim, expecting to fail. The fact that I met (and now exceeded) my goal feels pretty good. Continue reading