This is the best substitute for mashed potatoes that I have come up with, so far. I recommend using an immersion blender, if you have one.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2-4 tbsp skim milk
- 2 tbsp grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Wash the cauliflower, turn the head upside-down and remove the leaves (if necessary).
- With the head upside-down, cut and remove the ‘cauliflower crowns’ and set them aside, discard the stem.
- Steam the cauliflower crowns for 7 minutes.
- When the crowns are finished steaming place them in a colander and let them rest for 5 minutes. This will let them shed any excess moisture.
- Place the cauliflower in a large mixing bowl with 2tbsp milk, coarsely mash
- Add garlic powder and lightly blend this mixture an immersion blender will come in handy here
- Stir in cheese, salt & pepper
- Adjust consistency with milk if needed
- Adjust flavor with salt & pepper if needed